Sunday, February 28, 2016

NAHBS 2016 Highlights (well, for me, that is...)

This last weekend, the North American Handmade Bicycle Show graced the presence of the Convention Center in the great City of Sacramento. Like many local cycling geeks, I had the opportunity to volunteer for this inspiring, eye-opening, "art-wrenching", incredible event. While one day is too short to spend at an event where metal artisans exhibit in droves (like, two hundred or something??), if one has the time to attend this event, one should.
Bike-lover or not, the craftsmanship alone astounds even the most art-petty mind. One question I found myself asking: "what process did this individual frame builder go through to get to their final idea?" As an artist and lover of life stories, the answer to this question brings aid to my own obstacles in the artistic voyage.
Although I only spent a day (too short) at the NAHBS in Sacramento, I was able to ask many frame builders how long they have been at their craft. As expected, I suppose, some of the bike industry artists/engineers had chosen this career path many years ago (albeit most likely not calling it that when they started), while others have one frame they worked on the entire year and are just getting their feet wet. An interesting observation I discovered was that the ones who had been at their craft the longest had some of the richest, simplest, perfected frames, while the younger "noobs'" framework possessed the more ornate, elaborate, eye-popping design work.









All in all, when I considered what these individuals had accomplished, I realized it all started with them responding to a call. I too often (as explained in an earlier post) hang back and consider the value of the endeavor too much, often determining that it would not have any lasting affect on those who look upon it. Seeing a room full of art and not being able to view it all, an exhibitor may get the same feeling. "Why should I be the one to catch anyone's attention amongst all these other incredible artists." The best takeaway may be that, when it comes to life-giving pursuits, it pays to simply dive in. Yes, the first product may be messy (as with the process of fillet brazing), but if the vision is kept close at heart, the end result will be just what it should: sharing the gift with which you have been blessed. In some way, whether you get to see it or not, it will affect, inspire, and/or encourage those interacting with it.

Now, some other highlights...

For mountain biking in the greater Sacramento Area, FATRAC (Folsom Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition) does an incredible job keeping local MtB-ers on sweet trails.


In the local sector, we in Sacramento are lucky to have SABA (Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocate) in our corner for so many events and important bicycle topics; if you have the chance to ever help with bike valet at an event in Sacramento, please consider it!



In MtB engineering, I kept finding these fork choices interesting...I am told they are pretty effective (and they just plain look cool!).




Sycip's display held the attention of the boys...and Sandy Hernandez (a real kid at heart).


My wife got to talk to Chris King for five minutes (lucky) and get a better feel for what it takes to "make it" in the bike industry.



I have to admit, I am a sucker for fat bikes...and Peacock Groove showed the potential for my kids to have fat bikes, too!! Really fun designs.




No mystery here: from display quality to items on the docket, Breadwinner had a lot of good stuff to look at. The motorcycle rig is actually the owner's. The fully-loaded tourer was my fav.







White Industries and Paul Components: two brands I may never have the money to enjoy, but I can certainly admire from afar...



The future of (my) mountain biking: the 36" mid-fat wheel; seen here on the Dirtysixer


Calfee knows what the necessities are: Bamboo Bike with matching rack carrying a twelve-pack.


And, finishing it off with the best experience of the day (and, ironically, the worst photo I took), Ritchey Logic. The good conversation I had with Tom Ritchey was not at all about bikes...and it was probably the highlight of the event for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment